Children and young people whose parents or carers are unable to provide all the care they may need (due to complex health care needs, life threatening conditions, profound disabilities, or children who need safeguarding), may require support from local specialist health services.

Specialist health services include the:

  • Complex needs nursing team
  • Children and young people’s continuing care service.

Accessing these services

Health services at this level are specially designed to support and treat people with certain conditions, and normally you will have to be assessed and referred to the service by certain professionals, such as your GP, child’s school, health visitor or social worker.